Applying for OPT program for International student.

West Newton, MA |

Hi there,

My question is regarding applying to OPT program for international student. While being on F-1 status I have worked outside of campus with my SSN and have done tax return. So now I am graduating and have to apply for OPT, so my question is ..... Do I have a high chance of getting denied by OPT since I worked outside of Campus with my SSN? or is there any chance that I can still get approved by OPT? Can someone please help with this questions... I would greatly appreciate any help!!

1. You can still obtain OPT unless you have worked for a year on CPT.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Talk to your foreign student adviser ... you may have violated your status.

Capriotti International Law
    www.capriotti.com
    franco@capriotti.com
    1-503-803-0055
    SKYPE 3-WAY VIDEO AVAILABLE

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.