Skip to main content

Applying for green card threw marriage, I'm 21 and my partner is 41. Can he petition me for a green card?

Houston, TX |

Applying for green card threw marriage, I'm 21 and my partner is 41. Can he petition me for a green card will the age difference affect our case if he applies for me? We do love each other and we can prove that we have a bona fide relationship.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Yes. Age, by itself is not a determining factor. As long as you two love each other and your marriage is genuine you have nothing to fear.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Yes he can petition for you. There will ne more scrutiny because of the age difference, but as long as the marriage is in good faith you should be okay. I recommend hiring a good immigration attorney to guide you through the process.

  3. Yes, the key is having a legitimate relationship.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and should not be relied as legal advice on your case. You may call my office at (832) 305-5382 to schedule a consultation if you require specific legal advice. Law Offices of Hector J. Lopez. 1201 South Shepherd Dr. Houston, TX 77019.

  4. I agree with my colleagues. He can sponsor you for a permanent residency status as long as the relationship is legitimate.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions.

  5. If there is a bona fide genuine and authentic legal marriage the age difference is not a precluding factor.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

  6. As long as you have a bona fide marriage and sufficient evidence to prove it, then the difference in age alone should not be the sole reason for USCIS to deny you a green card. To be sure you provide the right type of documents/evidence to prove your bona fide marriage and how much evidence to file, hire an immigration attorney.

    Angelique Montes, Esq., Immigration Attorney in Houston, Texas. This is not legal advice and a client-attorney relationship is not created. The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics