Applying for Federal Early Release/or Parole Release

Asked over 2 years ago - Waterbury, CT

My husband is in Federal Prison, he is on his way to a camp and has 8 years left of his sentence. My husband has no bad behavor issues, I would like to know if he should apply for a Parole Release (not sure if I'm saying the term correctly) or for an early release and what are the quidelines?

1. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . The Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 abolished parole in the federal penal system; however, 18 USC Section 3624(b) provides each inmate with a sentence reduction of 54 days per year, earned immediately after his or her successful completion of each year, in addition to the time that the inmate has already served. This reduction is familiarly known as "good conduct credits" or "good conduct time." The primary requirement is, of course, "exemplary conduct" by the inmate. Although a 54 day annual reduction seems to result in the service of approximately 85% of an inmate's sentence, the Federal Bureau of Prisons' interpretation of "official detention" and the pro-rating of any partial years of service results in an inmate's serving approximately 87% of his or her sentence before his or her release into community confinement, which may be up to 1 year (although such normally does not exceed 6 months), depending upon each inmate's need for assistance in re-adjusting into society from prison. Additionally, your husband may meet the requirements to be eligible for the Residential Drug Abuse Program, which under certain circumstances, if successfully completed, may reduce his sentence by 12 months in addition to the foregoing reductions.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

2. Robert David Richman

2

Answered . There is no longer parole in the federal system. He will be eligible for 54 days a year of good time credit and will be able to finish the last 6 months or so of his sentence in a halfway house.

3. William W. Swor

Pro

1

Answered . Are you saying that your husband is being transferred to a camp from another federal institution, or that your husband is going to prison and has been assigned to a camp? There are differences in the two situations.

As soon as he gets to the camp, he will meet with his case management team, and discuss with them their plan for him. With 8 years remaining on a sentence, it is too early for him to discuss release issues. There are a number of variables that would dictate his eligibility for any community corrections programs, but given the state of his sentence, he does not appear to be eligible for any of them. There is no "early" release from federal prison. Similarly, there is no "parole", unless your husband was sentenced before 1984.

There are many family support groups that can help you with questions you may have. FAMM, while primarily focusing on mandatory minimum issues, provides a great deal of support for all prisoner families.