Skip to main content

Applying for a replacement passport.

Naperville, IL |

My wife's parents have taken her passport and naturalization certificate and we are planning to apply for a replacement copy, since it is not as expensive as applying for a copy of the Naturalization certificate. We have a copy of her passport, can we use the copy to apply for a replacement?
Are any other documents required? Please advise.
Thank you all in advance for your advice.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Is it not possible to get those important papers back from your wife's parents?

    Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

  2. You will likely have to explain why you want replacements. Saying that your wife's parents have the original documents is not likely a good enough explanation and does sound suspect.

  3. Whatever the procedure is or might be and the advice that might follow for passport replacement they will not come out of US immigration law. In fact, all you need is to go online and read the instructions. If you need to replace Certificate of Naturalization, it is an immigration law issue and again, all you need to do is read the instructions and follow.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  4. The most appropriate and safest route would be to replace the Naturalization Certificate even if that costs your money.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics