Applying for a b2 visa after an Immigrant visa

Asked 12 months ago - Isleton, CA

I´m about to apply for my immigrant visa I´m married to a U.S. citizen, then can I apply for a b2 visa to come visit him before my immigrant visa is ready?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That will be difficult. VERY VERY DIFFICULT.

    Talk to an attorney before filing any papers.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Ajay Kumar Arora

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . May possibly be successful if you have compelling reasons to return to your home country to await consular processing for an immigrant visa after your visit. Even if the Consulate issues a visitor visa, you will again face problems at the port of entry. On the other hand, there is no harm in trying as long as there is no misrepresentation; it will not prejudice your immigrant visa processing. Good luck to you.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. Katja Anneli Charlotta Hedding


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can apply for a B-2 visa but it is very likely that it will be denied. Consult an immigration attorney for further advice regarding the application.

  4. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Once you file for an immigrant visa, you will have a hard time showing that you do not intend to immigrate.

    This answer is not intended to replace a consultation with an attorney and does not create an attorney-client... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,701 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,701 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering