Skip to main content

Apply for green card for my mother

Arlington, TX |

I got my temporary green card this month, I need to know can I apply for my mother to get her green card? she lives in another country. Or should I wait until I get my permanent green card? How long does it take for her to get her green card if I apply as a green card holder, not a citizenship, for her?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You must be a US Citizen (older than 21) to sponsor your mother.

    You cannot file as a Legal Permanent Resident.

    Once you become a Citizen and file the process takes about a 6-10 months.

    Marc Taylor

  2. Step 1: Wait until you can apply for naturalization.
    Step 2: Apply for naturalization.
    Step 3: Become a US citizen
    Step 4: Petition your mother.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. Sorry - you have to be a citizen first before you can petition your mom.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics