Applied for job with the company I am currently working for. I was hired. They rescinded their written offer post my acceptance.

I went to a different city to interview with the same company I am with, then went up again to look for housing and a job for my wife. This is a large healthcare company. After they gave me the written job offer, with salary and start date, which I accepted in writing, they rescinded three days later, saying the area manager was not going to fund that position. I am hurt psychologically, having told co-workers and friends about this new promotion in a different city. What recourse do I have?

Palmdale, CA -

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

But you are not fired, right? You will keep your current position?

If you are an at will employee, subject to termination at the employer's will, it may not make good sense to get into a legal conflict with your employer over an in-house position that did not work out. The job you have may be better than no job and an iffy lawsuit.

Darrel S Jackson

Darrel S Jackson

Employment / Labor Attorney - Scottsdale, AZ

You probably have no recourse. Most employees are at-will, which means that the employer can terminate at any time. Unless you and your employer signed an employment agreement that limited your employer's ability to terminate, your employer was free to change its mind regarding the new position at any time.

Sagar P. Parikh

Sagar P. Parikh

Employment / Labor Attorney - Beverly Hills, CA

How did you accept the written offer? Did you sign an official employment contract? Was it an acceptance through email/phone?

You may have a claim for breach of contract. Consult with a business attorney who can go over the specific facts of your case and advise you accordingly.

SP@BeverlyHillsLawPartners.com
323-703-3581