Applied for H1 to F1 transfer (I539), will uscis approve before school starts ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I have been working on H1 for last few years. Early this year I decided to goto school and get my PhD. I got funding from my chosen school to pursue my degree. So with this I applied for transfer of status more than a month ago. I am currently on H1 which will expire in next few weeks and also I only have few days left for my school to start but my I539 status shows pending. Do the USCIS try to approve F1 visas before the students school start or can it even happen middle of the semester. I also have my Assistantship Starting date in the beginning of the semester.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

1

Answered . USCIS does always approve change of status to F-1 before school starts. It is always wise to apply early.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Remains to be seen. Probably yes.

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Estimated processing times are always as posted on the USCIS website. The fastest way to be in F-1 status is to go home and apply for an F-1 visa stamp there.