Applied for asylum with immigration judge

New York, NY |

it has been pending more than 6 months and I want to apply for EAD but EAD instructions say I need proof I filed for asylum. Where do I get this proof? I did not receive anything from immigration judge as proof. I mailed the copy of the application where I was supposed to also but never received a response

The proof will come as a receipt notice when you follow the pre-order instructions which were provided by the Court. Unfortunately if you do not do this correctly it will not be properly processed and could cause complications.

If you are unrepresented before the Immigration Court you should retain an attorney ASAP. It is very very important to have representation, as procedures before the immigration court are complicated, and especially with regard to asylum. Search Avvo; be sure you speak to someone in your area with a lot of experience and who also can advise about the Asylum Clock. Experience in court proceedings is required.

Note, the clock may have stopped, and if so you need to be advised about this. If so, you may not have eligibility for the EAD.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.

I agree with my colleague.

Go to the court and request a copy of your application, with a 'filed' stamp on it.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Recommended articles about Immigration