Applied for asylum with immigration judge

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

it has been pending more than 6 months and I want to apply for EAD but EAD instructions say I need proof I filed for asylum. Where do I get this proof? I did not receive anything from immigration judge as proof. I mailed the copy of the application where I was supposed to also but never received a response

1. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

2

Answered . The proof will come as a receipt notice when you follow the pre-order instructions which were provided by the Court. Unfortunately if you do not do this correctly it will not be properly processed and could cause complications.

If you are unrepresented before the Immigration Court you should retain an attorney ASAP. It is very very important to have representation, as procedures before the immigration court are complicated, and especially with regard to asylum. Search Avvo; be sure you speak to someone in your area with a lot of experience and who also can advise about the Asylum Clock. Experience in court proceedings is required.

Note, the clock may have stopped, and if so you need to be advised about this. If so, you may not have eligibility for the EAD.

2. Cindy Medina

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . Go to the court and request a copy of your application, with a 'filed' stamp on it.