Applied DV 2014 lottery while in US on H visa. Now out of US , Do I need to be in US if i win in May 2013 results ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

Me and my husband both from Algeria applied for DV 2014 while staying in US. lottery result are expected in May 2013.My husband is in US but I am now in Algeria for my vacations and also for my H4 stamping expecting to return in June. If God willingly me or my husband wins DV lottery and I am still outside US , how it would affect our DV processing ? After wining can I land in US in june and still do the adjustment of status ? OR does it affect my DV processing in any negative way ? Do i need to be in US at time of results to use adjustment of status ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You do not need to be in the United States at the time the DV lottery results are announced in order to receive lawful permanent residence. You just need to make sure your contact information is up to date with the U.S. Department of State. You should be able to travel to the U.S. in June as planned if you are notified that you won the lottery. You are allowed to have dual intent with an H-1B/H-4 visa so it should not cause any problems during any subsequent adjustment of status.

    I would encourage you to retain an attorney if you or your husband are selected for the DV lottery. There are a limited number of visas actually issued and you want to ensure your case is properly handled to increase your chances of success.

    Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Andrew Marino Bramante

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . No. Most DV winners are out of the U.S.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now