Application for the US citizenship...

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Married in the US in 2005.
Became a Permanent Resident in 2006.
Divorced in 2013 in the US.
Have been living in the US since 2005.
Can I apply for US citizenship on my own? Would my divorce affect my application? Are we going to another interview to make sure that our marriage was real, etc.?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Rodrigo Ivan Canido

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hello,

    You can apply for citizenship on your own. Although your divorce will not automatically deny you your ability to apply for citizenship, they may ask you follow up questions about the divorce in your interview. As you said, they want to make sure you did not get married just to get legal status, although eight years of marriage seems pretty legitimate. I suggest you contact an immigration attorney to further help you with this process.

    LORIC, Immigration Solutions
    (Se Habla Espanol)

    Rodrigo Ivan Canido
    Managing Attorney

    3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Tel: 650-279-5933

  2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can apply.
    Divorce should not affect application
    There should be no interview regarding your marriage - unless someone contacts CIS with damaging information.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. Remember that at the naturalization interview USCIS can inquire into the basis for the permanent residence and basically ensure that you had legitimately obtained status because LPR status is one of the prerequisites to obtain naturalization. Your entire immigration history could be inquired about as well as good moral character. You should consult with an immigration attorney with experience handling naturalization in your area. Be sure you meet all requirements for naturalization before applying. See for example this website

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,835 answers this week

2,942 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,835 answers this week

2,942 attorneys answering