Application for the US citizenship...

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Married in the US in 2005.
Became a Permanent Resident in 2006.
Divorced in 2013 in the US.
Have been living in the US since 2005.
Can I apply for US citizenship on my own? Would my divorce affect my application? Are we going to another interview to make sure that our marriage was real, etc.?

1. Rodrigo Ivan Canido

3

Answered . Hello,

You can apply for citizenship on your own. Although your divorce will not automatically deny you your ability to apply for citizenship, they may ask you follow up questions about the divorce in your interview. As you said, they want to make sure you did not get married just to get legal status, although eight years of marriage seems pretty legitimate. I suggest you contact an immigration attorney to further help you with this process.

LORIC, Immigration Solutions
    (Se Habla Espanol)

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
    Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Tel: 650-279-5933
    Email: rcanido@loric.net.in
    www.loric.net.in

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . You can apply.
    Divorce should not affect application
    There should be no interview regarding your marriage - unless someone contacts CIS with damaging information.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Remember that at the naturalization interview USCIS can inquire into the basis for the permanent residence and basically ensure that you had legitimately obtained status because LPR status is one of the prerequisites to obtain naturalization. Your entire immigration history could be inquired about as well as good moral character. You should consult with an immigration attorney with experience handling naturalization in your area. Be sure you meet all requirements for naturalization before applying. See for example this website http://www.ailalawyer.com/