Application for refugee status at the US border.

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

I was granted asylum in the USA and i travelled to Canada and overstayed there because i have a wife and kids there. My travel document expired and i now want to get back to the USA as i do not have status here. I have been advised that i could apply for refugee status at the border. If this is correct, how does it work, do i get detained and how long does it take.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 15

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My understanding is your asylee status is abandoned and you may have some difficulties in accomplishing what you are speaking of. Speak with and retain an immigration attorney if you are serious about returning to the US. My firm handles complex asylum claims.
    Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That does not seem to be correct, since by your actions after having been granted asylee status in the US you seem to have "resettled" in Canada and in effect could be deemed to have abandoned your residence in the US.

    Seek to speak with a US immigration lawyer in Canada immediately. Attorney Chang in Toronto is excellent and practices both US and Canadian immigration law.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.


Asylum is a form of protection offered to people who fear persecution in their home country and are in the United States or an entry port.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,282 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,282 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering