Appellate form question

Asked about 1 year ago - Lindenhurst, NY

At the appellate court I see they have 3 forms-
1. Order to Show Cause
2. Notice of Motion
3. Habeas Corpus-Order to Show Cause

Which one do I file in order to try to gain custody of my kid? Or it doesn't matter it can be all 3?

Just please answer 1 2 or 3 or all 3.

Many Thanks.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Niels Bruno


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You provide no information as to why you are going to the appellate court. Why are you not going through family court for custody? If you are appealing a family court decision - you would have to file a notice of appeal within the prescribed time period - then following the appellate procedure for your department. Go to the appellate division website and download the local rules which will detail what must be included with any appeal. There are specific rules regarding the number of copies that must be filed, specifics for the appendix, the format, etc.

  2. Bruno Patrick Bianchi

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should consult a lawyer about your appeal. If you can't afford a lawyer you should read the New York State Bar Association's Pro Se Appeals manual at the link below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,998 answers this week

3,345 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,998 answers this week

3,345 attorneys answering