APPEALS- what are the limitations to & requirements of appealing a civil court ruling regarding custody? Apellate court process?

Bloomfield Hills, MI |

Oakland County MI- mother found 'unfit' & to be 'danger to children' for making too many reports to CPS regarding suspected sexual abuse of 4 yr old daughter by father. Allegations were NOT unfounded; childs pediatrician, daycare provider & 'play therapist' all independently same to same conclusions from things they observed & they made their own individual reports to CPS as they are mandated to. However, O.C. judge ruled Mothers reports were false & her 'mental health' (ie:the reporting) posed a danger to the children's wellbeing. So she was stripped of all custody&visitation in Dec '12. Im a Legal Advocate, & I'd like to know what options are available to her in fighting this order.. For her sake, but especially to rescue this innocent child from her rapist!!! Educate me, please!! Help!

There are two courses of action. First, you could appeal. This is an "appeal of right" if it is done within the proper time period. If the ruling was in December, that time period might have passed. If it has, you must file an "application for leave to appeal" Very few individuals will do this properly on their own so hiring a lawyer is a must. The other option is to refile a motion with the Circuit Court Judge. As custody is always modifiable, a person can file a motion at any time to change custody, even if they have lost a previous similar motion. The reality is, however, that the Judge will not seriously consider a new motion unless there are changes in cirucmstances that have occured since the last motion. The best bet is to contact a quailified family law attorney to discuss your options. Good Luck.

So there is no misunderstanding, my answer to your question does not establish an attorney/client relationship with me or my firm and such a relationship will not be established unless and until you personally retain me or my firm to represent you.

2. Attorney Olson gives you excellent advice. Please contact a local appellate attorney to assist your client with this time sensitive matter. Good Luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

3. Time is of the essence, and competent appellate counsel who has experience in family law, and in custody appeals especially, should be consulted immediately.
    LaurelStuart-Fink
    (248) 626-5450

This comment is designed for general information only, and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Civil motions topics