Appealing Denial of Unemployment Benefits

Asked about 1 year ago - Cleveland, OH

Four years ago I was promoted to a sales position. I accepted with the mutual understanding that I could have every other weekend off due to a custody agreement where I get my children every other weekend. Recently my direct supervisor had me on the schedule for a weekend that I had my kids. It was a common practice for me to put the dates on his calendar (which were marked on his calendar)for the weekends I had my children. I brought it to his attention a week before that he had me on the weekend I was to have my children. He responded "We'll get it figured out." I assumed he would straighten it out like he always had in the past. They waited until the Thursday before the weekend to try and get coverage for that weekend. When they couldn't find a replacement the general manager (the main boss) told me that I was scheduled to work that weekend and that I had to work. I told him I couldn't work because I had my children and did not have a babysitter. He told me if I didn't work I would be terminated for job abandonment. Needless to say I was terminated. My previous employer reported to unemployment that I voluntarily quit due to job abandonment. Unemployments ruling was that I refused a job assignment therefore they are denying unemployment benefits. Do I have any hope on an appeal? Thank you in advance.

1. David Andrew Mallen

Answered . Try to find a local lawyer who knows the system.

You can start here. http://www.web.ucrc.state.oh.us/FAQ/Questions.stm

David Mallen