Skip to main content

Appealing a misdemeanor conviction.

Pasadena, CA |

how do I obtain a public defender for an appeal

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Generally, you must file a Notice of Appeal within 30 days after the trial court ruled on your case. The form for that Notice of Appeal includes a box you can check where you are able to request a court-appointed lawyer. If your Notice of Appeal is correctly filed with the superior court and it is determined that you qualify financially, the California Appellate Project will appoint an appellate attorney to represent you.

  2. Contact the public defender's office in the courthouse where you were convicted. PD is not required to take on appeal. If that fails, file notice of appeal with court and ask for counsel to be appointed.
    Forms are available online.

    The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and there are often numerous factors which can render advice or an opinion inapplicable. You should NOT make any decisions about the handling of a legal matter without first directly consulting with an attorney about the particulars of your case.

  3. There is paperwork for you to file; A Notice of Appeal with the Court which heard your trial. Let the Court know you are indigent.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

  4. you have to fill out a financial affidavit. Call the public defender's office in Pasadena, they will be able to walk you through it. Just google LA County Public Defender and then locate the Pas office.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics