Appealing a decision in Family Court

Lindenhurst, NY |

The Appellate court decisions are not based on any kind of permission from Family Court right?

In other words if family court only gives them permission-- they will reverse it to the petitioners request.

You don't need permission from Family Court to file an appeal. Once you get an adverse decision from Family Court, you have 30-days from the date that you receive the decision to file your Notice of Appeal and then you have 9 months to perfect the appeal. As for your last statement, I have no idea what you mean regarding the reversal and family court permission. It makes no sense.

The Family Court has no say on whether or not you can appeal a decision. You have 30 days from the date of receiving decision to file a Notice of Appeal - THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - DO NOT MISS THIS DEADLINE!!! You did not state any of the facts of your case. If you are looking for a clearer answer as to your likelihood of winning on appeal, please discuss with an attorney. FYI - appeals are an expensive undertaking and a lengthy process so please be sure you are ready to appeal with the right attorney. douglas@kepanislaw.com
www.kepanislaw.com

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

I also added an APPEALS tag to your question for further clarity on AVVO

Atty. Tebano outlines the procedural rules and your rights with exceptional clarity. The rules are very clear as to time frames and other requirements. I strongly suggest that you contact a local attorney immediately to assist you in this process. Be careful, you do not want to miss any deadlines. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

You do not need permission from the family court to apply. Make sure you file in time or the appeal will be waived.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.