Appeal criminal

Brooklyn, NY |

Can two different lawyer file for an appeal for the same case if the other is not doing good

So long as the notice of appeal is filed timely, it doesn't matter who files it or how many lawyers file it. Once your appellate rights are protected, then you can figure out who will stay and who will go.

Good luck

The opinion expressed by the attorney is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this web site or to the attorney's opinion does not create an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and the attorney.

You may have to execute a proper Substitution of Counsel first.

You can have as many lawyers working for you as you want but you can only file one brief. The defendant can also make a motion to file a pro se supplemental brief.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Only with permission of the Court.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.