Skip to main content

Apparently my soon to be ex remarried someone in another state,though our divorce is not final in CA.Bigamy,Polygamy how to file

Los Angeles, CA |

Have a first filed dissolution and custody in California.Husband moved to another state.He was served the CA summons by the Sheriff so valid service and filing.He has no contact,no support,has violated restraining orders,now have a domestic violence restraining order on him.Unknown to me he filed a SECOND case in the other state AFTER service of the CA case;did not serve me though his girlfriend says she did with POS claiming served me in that state at a fake address they used to claim I live in that state.He is claiming to be divorced in that state and claiming custody though CA already gave me custody well before the void orders he received by fraud.I know that UCCJEA and PKPA state CA is ONLY case allowed.They now claim they got married in Niagara falls and I want to charge with Bigamy

What is quickest way to charge or is it a court case for Bigamy? What evidence do I need to show? I was told a defective divorce in the other state is not a valid excuse as he clearly knew there was a first filed case that has jurisidiction. His girlfriend is crazy and cannot have children and states that MY children are her children.She is trying to kidnap my children and has already told many people even on her facebook that they are "her" children. She wrote a letter stating since she is married to my husband SHE has custody. I need to end this ASAP as she is trying to kidnap my children.Want to file Bigamy ASAP, and what can I file to protect us from this crazy lady?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. This is a criminal issue I would contact the DA and proceed with your divorce if your marriage was the first one since it is the only valid one. Good luck

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us at 858-720-8250 or by email at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship unless we are retained.

  2. I agree with the other attorney. Bigamy would be a criminal matter.

    In the meantime, rather than focusing your efforts on making sure the ex gets "charged", focus on finishing your divorce and getting permanent orders with regard to your custody and support. Then you can have Child Support Services do the work of going after him for the support.

    You will be a better parent if you conserve your energies for raising your children rather than chasing after the ex.

  3. Proceed with your divorce. Get a default entered against him. Report his activities to the DA here and in the other state. Get sole legal custody orders by filing a request for orders hearing. If you amend your petition, you will also need to serve him. This will delay your request for default, though. Suggest you seek legal counsel.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics