Apartment Won't Fix Anything or keep their word....What Are My Options??

Asked about 5 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I just moved in an apartment complex in June 2009. I've found several things needing repairs.
After several calls with no changes, I typed a letter outlining the repairs needed and physically walked it over to the office August 1st and had it signed.
It's almost September and I gave them 30 days to make the repairs. I have a leak, broken toilet seat, outlets don't work, ice maker won't work and the worst issue is my dryer won't work since the outlet is broken. All of these things were already needing repair.
The other issue is I told the leasing rep I needed cable outlets BEFORE I signed the lease. She assured me they could do that since the cable company would not. I work from home and need internet and explained this from the start.
After September 1st, what are my options?

I should of known this place was shady when they refused to show me the apartment I'd be renting and kept showing the model decorated in Ikea. Their excuse was it needed painting, cleaing, etc.
They also have a serious roach infestation problem. The exterminator says the roach smell will stay in this apartment because they painted over the roach feces instead of cleaning them up.
I've contacted Legal Aid and they sent me some info on sueing the apartment in small claims court. Is that pretty much all that can be done? Can I ask the court to allow me to break my lease so I can move?
Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

1. Glenn M. Lyon

Answered . If the landlord does not make the required repairs within a reasonable amount of time after receiving notice, you may terminate the lease, give written notice to the landlord and move out. You also have the option of suing for damages, whether or not you move out.

If you would like to discuss any issues further, please feel free to contact my office. My contact information is below. Thank you.

The foregoing is general information only, not specific legal advice. No attorney/client relation has been created or should be implied.