Skip to main content

Apartment tried to collect a debt after failing to apply my security deposit to it.

Sandy, UT |

Recently a law firm tried to "collect a debt" from me via my old apartment complex. They ended up "not pursuing it" any more because the apartment never applied our security deposit to the debt. The firm was very rude and refused to give anything in writing. They took up the position that I should just be quiet and pay the debt. Is there anything I should / can do about it? The suit is closed but I don't want them to come after me in the future. Further more can I file any suit against them in respect to the way they handled this?

Attorney Answers 1


Debtors have rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act which protects debtors from unruly debt collectors including law firms. If you believe the debt collector has violated the act, you should speek with an attorney regarding possible recourse. In many cases, debtors such as yourself decided it is simply not worth it to pursue creditors for FDCPA violations. Since the debt collector is not currently pursuing you, you may not want to rock the boat.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics