Apartment Landlord is asking for Social Security Number Letter Verification Letter, is this legal?

Irving, TX |

I just recently moved into an apartment and my landlord is asking for a Social Security Number Verification letter. In all my years of renting I have never came a across this. I am hesitant to follow the request because its seems highly unorthodox.

1. I understand your concerns. However, usually landlords require this before you move in or are even given a lease - the SS# is used both to confirm identity (although it is not technically a form of ID) and to run a credit check. As such, don't be surprised if the failure to provide ends up meaning you will not have your lease renewed. Because in many rental situations you'd have had to put your SS# on your application, you may not be gaining much by refusing this time.

2. A landlord can rent on his own terms and require different application procedures. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, say so and if he insists, it may be time to say goodbye!

3. Yes

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.