Apartment is filthy and covered with fleas, can we break the lease since something else was promised

Asked over 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

When we've entered our new apt we've noticed it was really filthy, there was hair in bathrooms, kitchen was sticky and dirty, fans were completely covered with dust, and painted really terrible, then we found fleas jumping in carpet, we werent aware of that first because we were told that apartment is in a move in condition, later we all had bite marks and our friend's(whom we stayed with before we found an apt) little girl had flea bite marks all over her body. Plus we ended up bringing fleas to her house and we only stayed at the apt for half an hour. We feel terrible but dont even know what to do, its pricey apts so we were sure that we wouldnt have any problems like that, they said everything will be fixed in a day, but can it be fixed in a day, and can we ask for money back & leave?

1. Sergio Cabanas

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Legally, the statutes do require that the LL perform the extermination when it's a multi-family housing (as opposed to a single-family house), and it looks like your LL is trying to take care of it. For what it's worth, I boarded a cat many years ago when I rented an apt, and it became infested with fleas. I would put my arm on top the carpet, and I would literally see 3 fleas jump to my arm. It was a huge problem, but I didn't think I could hold the LL responsible at that time (I was ignorantly bliss before going to law school). I hired pest control, which sprayed the entire apt. I never saw any bug in that apt ever since.

Back to your case -- if they don't solve the problem you can send a 7-day notice to terminate.

2. Kristopher Robert Reilly

2

Answered . I agree with the advice of my colleague on this matter. The best course of action is to wait to see if the problem is resolved. If the problem is not rectified you should give the seven day notice to terminate the lease. I highly advise you to seek the assistance of an attorney when doing so because there are certain statutory requirements that must be met to avoid the possibility of being sued in the future. Best of Luck.

www.krrlaw.com