Anything to expedite background checks?

New York, NY |

My husband and I concurrently filed the I-485 and I-130. Our priority date is 8/2/12. Our greencard interview was 12/6/12. Our interview seemed to go well enough but she said our case was still in background checks. We did an Infopass in March and were told our case is still in background checks.
We're concerned the reason for the delay is the fact that my husband shares the same name with his cousin who is a known and wanted criminal in Puerto Rico and, possibly, Europe.
Is there anything we can do to find out why the background check is taking so long and, if this is, indeed, this reason, anything we can submit to show it is not the same person?
Thank you.

1. Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to get any answers from US immigration officials about "background checks." Are you working with an attorney? An attorney might try to obtain some more information about the possible causes for the delays, and could also prepare documents to submit to try to establish that your husband has no affiliations with his cousin.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

2. There is nothing you can do to expedite background checks. The background checks are done based on finger prints, so there should not be an issue with someone who shares the same name.

3. No, there is nothing you can do to make the process faster. If additional information is needed or there are questions about your husband's background, he will receive a RFE in due course.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

4. Background checks __ no. But a decision on your case: possible, by making inquiries and showing good reason for it.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com