Anyone ever been punished for not going to jury duty?

Blue Island, IL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

anyone ever been punished for not going to jury duty?

I have heard of it, but mostly after many warnings.

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately after reading my posting.

Short answer, YES.

Since I do not practice in IL, I will answer this question in general terms. Whether you will be punished for not going will depend on the Judge you are in front of when you are brought in on the warrant (or the threat of a warrant if you do not come in to see the judge).

Yes there are judges who will give you repeated chances to perform your civic duty', just like there are judges who will decide to hold you in contempt of court for not showing up on your first notice.

There are also collateral consequences, depending on the State, such as the suspension of your driver's license. If you really think you do not want to go, discuss this with an experienced defense lawyer in the jurisdiction where you were supposed to go for jury duty, BEFORE you miss the reporting date.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

Jury duty is not only a civic responsibility, it's a legal one.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.