Any way I can save my home from foreclosure in California?

Asked over 1 year ago - Placentia, CA

We have attempted to get a loan mod for over 2 years. We've filed for bankruptcy and that went through (home loan not affirmed) and postponed the foreclosure. We then tried for modification for the 3rd or 4th time and we were given a forbearance and told if we keep up the payments they would work with us at the end. Well we made all payments and they are refusing the mod. They didn't call just received a letter saying that it was referred again for foreclosure and to expect a sale date soon. It seems they just don't want to help us. I work but my wife is now disabled and waiting to get approved for SSDI. Is there anything that can be done to help? If the payments were lower we could pay and more than anything we want to keep our home.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Justin Drayton Graham

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . One option is a chapter 13 bankruptcy, which could be used to catch up on the arrears over 5 years.

  2. Ekaterina Kashlinsky

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . One option is to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Another option is to try for a loan mod. again, but if your lender is not listening to you, you may pursue a legal approach. You need to consult with an attorney who can advise you as to whether you can take your lender to court to make them work with you that way. If you made all forbearance payments and you were promised a modification, you could have a reason to take your lender to court. However, to make any repayment plan work you have to have sufficient income for your lender to consider you for a modification and to make a Chapter 13 plan successful. Sometimes, there are things not worth holding on to, and if you believe that you will not be able to make it work, consider letting the property go.

  3. Tiffany Nicole Romine


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . There are several options available to you and you should consult with a foreclosure defense attorney to review your specific situation. As mentioned, in order for a Chapter 13 or loan modification to work you must be able to make payments and keep up with them. An attorney would need to review your financial situation to determine the most appropriate strategy.

    By posting on this site or answering/responding to questions does not create an attorney-client relationship and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,411 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,411 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering