Skip to main content

Any way around the i-864 support form?

Naples, FL |

I'm Canadian, married to US citizen, pregnant with his baby. He didn't make enough money last year according to the rules of the i-864 form to support me.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Find a cosponsor or give up the immigration quest. This requirement is written into a statute for the reason people would not get around it.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. You can have someone act as a cosponsor or perhaps your spouse has assets that will allow him to qualify on that basis

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  3. No. There is no way around the I-864 Affidavit of support requirement. The petition must file one, regardless of income. If the petitioner's income is not enough, then the petitioner must find o co-sponsor to also file one.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  4. Find a joint sponsor.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics