ANY WASHINGTON STATE ATTORNEYS ALSO LICENSED IN ALASKA in MALPRACTICE (DENTAL)? Time is running out on a GOOD case!

Soldotna, AK |

It's too political for Alaskan attorneys, or they don't know dental malpractice. Just noticed THIS site has many attorneys recommending people to "contact a dental malpractice attorney" it doesn't even HAVE that area of law listed anywhere! It's too new. So is the type of dental work people are getting done - and often, it's done by dentists with no other training than a weekend seminar. But it can ruin a person's life or even take a life ... so where ARE the dental experts in law? Hmmm ... still looking. I know that "only a fool represents themselves" but I've looked pretty foolish before ... and walked away with the bank. Guess I'll have to do it again if I cannot find SOMEONE who knows their stuff - AND can either practice in Alaska OR who will work with me for a fee.

If you are having problems locating a lawyer with experience in dental malpractice, call your local or state bar association. I am sure they can help. Worst case scenario, type it in google.

I find it amusing that nearly EVERYONE at this site has told me the same thing - call the Bar. Why waste the long distance!? If I wanted a list of names, I could use the phone book.

You can search Avvo's "find a lawyer" for a malpractice lawyer to represent you.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102
215-510-6755
http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

I'll try it, thanks. But that disclaimer you put up? It's REALLY off putting, Has anyone ever thought the advice you give on here represents a real atty/client relationship??

Dental malpractice is usually not litigated much. For lots of complex reasons. As a result, few attorneys market themselves as "dental malpractice specialists." I suggest finding a lawyer in AK with experience handling medical malpractice claims. The law is the same; all that is different is the medicine. And usually the damage models in dental malpractice cases are prohibitively limited.

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Whatever success you may have had as a pro se, you won't succeed in any kind of malpractice case. Dental cases are particularly challenging, and not very profitable for lawyers to handle because the damages are usually limited. Therefore, few lawyers handle them and even fewer specialize in them.

Mr. Stewart, thanks for your answer. But what "complex reasons" do you refer to? I'm really curious! It really seems cut and dried to me but then, I'm buried in it - up to my missing teeth. :-)

Marc Edward Stewart

Marc Edward Stewart

The complex reasons are all wrapped up in the economics of modern malpractice litigation. The law requires you to prove your case with the supporting testimony of a medical expert(s). In complex dental cases, that usually means you need to retain 2 experts: a dentist to testify as to the standard of care and then an orthodontist to adequately describe the injury and repair needs. These experts will cost you and your attorney about $15k to $25k, depending on whether the cases settles prior to trial. Other case expenses will range from $10k to $20k. This is the court reporters costs, the depos, the videographer for the depos, filing fees, travel costs, copying costs, etc., etc. Therefore, all told, a "simple" malpractice case costs about $25k to $50k. Now that this is explained, there is no point in an attorney taking a dental malpractice case with a projected settlement value of under, say, $100,000. If you settle it, the attorney gets at least 1/3 or up to 45%. Plus expenses. A client may see nothing from a settlement even if you settle it for $100k! Here's the rub: it's very very hard for a dentist to do that much damage to a patient. A cardiologist? That's easy. But a dentist isn't working on an important biological system like the vascular system or the respiratory system or the GI tract...it's just someone's teeth. Hard to to do $100k in damage. Ergo, most lawyers don't specialize in this area.

When dentists charge less than cardiologist, then do more harm than good, kind of makes me wonder when attorneys are going to wake up to this new rainmaker! Cosmetic dentistry. I DO understand these suits are time-consuming, but a dentist can actually do MORE damage than a cardiologist (so says my cardio guys!). My heart is now fine, but I cannot EAT -- and making saliva is nearly impossible. These are muy importante, if you are a heart patient and type 1 diabetic. Teeth ARE actually THAT important! .I have lost my bite. I cannot eat. Trying now just to stay alive on a liquid diet for year three - it's not working, and it IS due, 100%, to lack of bite, lack of teeth. I kinda WANT to stay alive! I'm only 56 and yet I look 76! The dentist and oral surgeon removed so much bone, my face literally sags. T hey removed ALL the bone from my mouth - an "overly aggressive alveoplasty." My own team of cardiologists have been furious about this entire mess, as has my endocrinologist and the diabetic nurses at the clinic. My family is in shock. Cost of repairs? Over $150,000! Better to have tried on my own to get that than not! :-) I won't know until I try. I AM going to try. If a diabetic in CA can get a $2.67 million settlement for the IDENTICAL events, then why can't I just get enough of my money back to go pay to fix what they screwed up? Dentistry has come a long ways, baby - which is great but then, they're learning how in weekend seminars and truly "practicing" on patients. I may not win, but I will not be the last to try -- this is going to be a whole new field as dentistry grows and becomes more expensive, and has more trying things out they're not truly qualified to do. The AK Dental Board has taken these people on FOR me, but .. no settlement for repairs. That's ok, if I file, and then the Board revokes their license or puts them on probation, I hope they will then settle. If not, well .. I can say *I* tried when lawyers were afraid of losing.

Call the Alaska Bar Referral service at the following numbers: (907) 272-0352 or Toll Free in Alaska 1-800-770-9999

Best of luck.

Benjamin Crittenden
Law Office of Benjamin Crittenden
745 W. 4th Ave., Suite 302
Anchorage, AK 99501
P: (907) 771-9002
F: (907) 277-0536

What do you call a doctor with a 2.0 GPA? DOCTOR! What do you call an attorney who refers you to the Bar Association to find another attorney? USELESS! The Bar gave me a list. YOUR name was on it! SHOULD I CALL YOU? Uh-huh .. that's what I thought .. NO! LOLOL If tone of voice could be heard online, you'd hear mine: teasing laughter. I'm not angry at your answer, just getting rather tired of hearing it. As the daughter of attorney and the goddaughter of a judge, and a former legal secretary and office manager for a judge and two other attorneys for years, I know a case when I see one. But, I also know that the Spirit of the Law has been raped over the years since we were all working together back in the 70's and early 80's. Now? The Letter of the Law outweighs the Spirit but without both, we have nothing. I've been screwed, royally, and have lost my bite, the ability to eat solids, live with depression and horrible migraines, am plagued by embarrassing digestive problems and the diabetes? Completely out of control because of the loss of bite. A case I researched had a client receive $2.67 million for loss of bite - last year! This doesn't even count my SMILE or the wealth of wrinkles that God and gravity could not give a woman in a decade, much less in less than 90 days, or the ungodly pain. And MORE! Can you even IMAGINE what the inability to EAT properly does to a diabetic? For starters, it shortens our lifespan. Since I used to be a model, I have literally 1000s of photos of myself before and after - just looking at them tells the story! I have ONE expert witness, one should do it in this case. Dentistry is not a lot like medical. But it does seriously affect existing medical conditions, which they knew about had they bothered to read the intake forms! I'm sure you could come up with a longer list of wrongs, since you are, after all, a PI atty. I used to work for one of the finest in TX and he's the one who told me to sue the pants off this guy. Said, "it's the only way to get the necessary surgeries you need, his attention and hopefully make sure he doesn't do the same to others." But then, that's old school law. New school? If it doesn't cha-ching to more than a mil, it's rarely is seen inside a courtroom. Know who made up the line about only a fool being his own lawyer? A LAWYER! Likely with a big mortgage, kids in college, a wife who thinks shopping is her career, and maybe his or her own student loans! I'm mostly just kidding, but ... not entirely! It is, after all, MY life, MY losses, so I suppose I will be MY own attorney, fool or not. The thing is: a demand letter from an attorney would very likely end the entire thing! I'm NOT asking for the moon and don't mind sharing the settlement at all but just to get an attorney to write the letter has proven to be ridiculously difficult. I've done all the legwork, got discovery out the yingyang but still ... I'm just not worth it. Frankly, walking in front of the jury looking as I do now, and holding a large photo of how I looked just a short month before a terrible dentist and worse oral surgeon got a hold of me would definitely be the 'picture that tells a million dollars.' Those two, with with their assumptions of my finances, wreaked havoc that is still affecting my life and will until I get multiple bone grafts, a few implants, permanent dentures and crowns, and more, including a mini-face lift! Had they done their jobs correctly - using SOP - NONE of this would be necessary. I would not even be forced to wear dentures. But because I went in at first looking like a bag lady, as many of Homer's most wealthy women do, as you probably know, they ASSUMED far, far too much and left me in horrific shape. ANY jury with a 3rd grade education and good vision can see for themselves what happened. I did NOTHING do deserve this and there WERE other options but none were told to me, none were performed. It was all based on MONEY. I find out all this after the fact, naturally, and not through t

Professional ethics topics