Any recommended place to do paternity test? does it need to be ordered by court to be legally effective in a child support case?

Asked about 1 year ago - Redmond, WA

and, can one parent take the child to paternity test, without the other parent's consent?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Before you do the test, you should review the specific facts with your attorney to see whether you still have an opportunity to challenge the parentage of the child.

    The statutes provide that the results of genetic testing are admissible only if authorized by the court.

    While you can certainly have genetic testing done without a court order, the results likely would not be admissible.

    If the child is four or older, the potential parents of the child likely have lost the right to challenge the parentage of the child.

    If you have had a good parental relationship with the child, the court may still deny your petition even if you are within the statutory time.

  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The best procedure is to file a parentage case and get a court order requiring the dna test. This can be done without the other parent's consent. The parentage case, dna test, and child support can all be done by the state if you apply for collection services from the Division of Child Support. It's free. See my AVVO Legal Guides on parentage cases and child support for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,056 answers this week

2,799 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,056 answers this week

2,799 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary