Skip to main content

Any licenses needed to start up a sole proprietorship?

Berlin, MD |

I want to start a beach umbrella rental business as a sole proprietor. Do I need to file anything with the state before I start?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. No- you are the business. There is nothing to file. Just remember to report your income! Also, you will have personal liability for all debts of the sole proprietorship business. Good luck!

    This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not represent you.

  2. Not as such, but you will probably need a trader's license from the city. You will also need a "license" to collect sales taxes--really just an ID number. You get that from the State Dept of Assessments. I am attaching a helpful link they have.

    Contact me if you have any other legal issues, or to discuss why you may benefit from having an LLC.

    Licensed in Maryland with offices in Maryland and Oregon. Information here is general, does not create a lawyer-client relationship, and is not a substitute for consulting with an experienced attorney on the specifics of your situation.

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics