Skip to main content

Any guidance will be welcome!

Los Angeles, CA |

I am in California and going to apply for Adjustment of Status soon.

Can i hire an attorney from Texas to do the case or the attorney has to be from Ca?.

Do the immigration attorney's fly to other places to attend the marriage based AOS with their clients?

Is it asking too much from the attorney or does it happen?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Immigration law is Federal law and is therefore the same in all 50 states. Thus, the location of your attorney is not necessarily of great importance in many cases

You can hire an immigration attorney licensed in any state to handle an immigration case in another state. For example, a Florida licensed immigration attorney can represent clients who reside in California before USCIS in California. I represent clients all over the country, initially conversing with my clients via telephone, Skype and email, and then flying in to attend the client's interview/hearing.

Some immigration attorneys do not like to travel so be sure to ask any attorney that you consult with how this issue will be addressed.

Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
Board Certified Immigration Attorney
Devore Law Group, P.A.
2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 478-5353
Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
Skype: jeffrey.a.devore


Immigration law being Federal means attorneys can practice anywhere in the country, so yes you can hire a lawyer from Texas. It is up to the attorney to determine whether they will travel to interview, if they are paid for time and expense , they likely will

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


Why would you want to hire a lawyer in Texas when the interview will be in California?

Of course, you could pay the lawyer in Texas his fees and travel expenses to come to California or he could retain local counsel. This is often done but is not cost effective. Lawyers usually expect to be paid their hourly rate (or fixed fee) for the time they are away from their office and all their travel expenses.

However, if you dont already have an immigration case being handled by the lawyer in Texas you would be far better off with a competent lawyer who is familiar with the local procedures and staff of the CIS field office where you and your wife will be interviewed.

Ronald Jeffrey Tasoff

Ronald Jeffrey Tasoff


or "you and your husband will be intereview".


You can hire anyone you want but I can tell you that normally hiring a lawyer out of town is not the best move since they do not know the area etc... Also, the cost is higher when the lawyer has to travel. I do go to interview in California and Arizona but that's as far as I travel. There are plenty of good lawyers in LA, I would suggest speaking with one.



Thanks,Attorney Robert for your valuable input.Can you recommend the name of any attorney in LA?

Robert West

Robert West


No specifically but I see plenty on here like Javier Pineda. Just do a search, lots of good lawyers here.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer