Any criminal defense lawyers in Houston County, Alabama?

Asked about 2 years ago - Dothan, AL

I need to get my husband an attorney ASAP. He is currently in transport to Houston Co. Alabama. He was arrested on an old charge for possession of less than an ounce of controlled substance, which happened in 2006. He was charged in Houston County, Alabama & paid the fines. When he moved to California he was given community service & drug classes, but never completed it. I need a lawyer to help get his probation extended so that he doesn't have to stay in jail any longer, & also be able to return home to CA to complete this. I've called tons of lawyers & found no affordable ones who are willing to take his case. Referrals?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Patrick Mahaney


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You should not expect a private practice attorney to represent your spouse without a reasonable fee paid for his or her services. The cost of operating a law office is estimated at $60 to $75 per hour - that's for rent, telephone, fax, copy machine, office assistance, secretary's salary, insurance, professional dues, books, office supplies, and so forth. Running a small law office is expensive and few lawyers can afford to give away time. If a lawyer's hourly fee is $150 to $200, you should recognize that at least half of that hourly fee must be used to pay for overhead.

    In addition to the Alabama State Bar Lawyer Referral Service (call 334-269-1515), the Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association has a listing of qualified criminal defense lawyers in your area. For a listing of ACDLA members, check the listing:

  2. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . There are may competent criminal defense lawyers in AL. Online you can seek information: Alabama Bar Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL),, Best Lawyers in America, and this web site Avvo.

    If you can't afford a private lawyer, the defendant will need to ask the judge to appoint him a public defender, if he qualifies.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,336 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,336 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering