Any criminal defense attorneys willing to do pro bono work?

Tampa, FL |

high profile case with several felony charges (armed robbery, armed burglary, armed false imprisonment)

1. I don't practice in FL so I leave it to my colleagues there to give a definitive answer to this question. In general you won't find criminal attorneys doing much if any pro bono work. It's not that they are greedy but that there is a system of free representation by paid attorneys in the Public Defender system. This includes a system of court appoint attorneys on appeal.

If you are one of those few people who make to much for the PD to help you but not enough to hire a private lawyer, you should look for low fee criminal lawyers and/or criminal lawyers who will work out an installment plan.

Good luck in finding help.

2. I seriously doubt you're going to find a private attorney willing to defend these charges for free. I assume that the defendant was recently arrested for these charges. The judge should have by now inquired as to whether the defendant could afford private counsel, and if not, appointed the public defender. Given the seriousness of the charges, the assigned public defender will have significant felony experience. If this has not been done, request a solvency hearing ASAP.
    If your financial circumstances change, feel free to contact me at my office. I have 27 years criminal trial experience. I also am willing to work with clients on the fee payments. Good Luck

Robert E. Heyman, Seq
    Heyman Law Firm, PA
    Bank of America Tower
    200 Central Avenue Suite 610
    St. Petersburg, Fl 33701

Ph: 727-822-3700

Website: www.robertheyman.com

3. There are many fine criminal defense attorneys in the PDs office and in private practice. However, the economics of running a law practice don't lend themselves to taking such serious charges pro bono very often.

4. There are many fine criminal defense attorneys in the PDs office and in private practice in Tampa. However, the economics of running a law practice don't lend themselves to taking such serious charges pro bono very often.

5. Many lawyers are attracted to HIGH profile cases because of the free publicity that goes with it. Check the evening news in your area and find the lawyers who always manage to get in the news. Call their office and ask them.

6. Most criminal defense attorneys do not take pro bono cases simply because of economics, i.e., not enough resources to devote sufficient time, energy and money to a pro bono high profile case while still keeping the office doors open.

However, there are some firms / attorneys that do have the resources, but they are the exception and not the rule.