Another evidence question

I'm a plaintiff tenant sueing a landlord, in addition to 2 Notice of Violations from the city building inspector, and unanswered letters to the landlord, I have the case file where the landlord filed an eviction lawsuit against me, and for 9 months harassed me with it until I moved out. How do I submit this case file as evidence for my current case? (I don't really live in SLO, I'm afraid to put my true location)

San Luis Obispo, CA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Frances Miller Campbell

Frances Miller Campbell

Litigation Lawyer - Sherman Oaks, CA

Wow, tenant--you really need a lawyer for this lawsuit.

The Court can take "Judicial Notice" of the former eviction--that means the Court can look at its own files to see that the eviction was filed, or what happened in the eviction action.

Watch those notices of violations--they are NOT admissible unless they are certified (or unless the landlord admits he received them).

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Litigation Lawyer - San Marino, CA

You probably would not be able to submit the entire case file as evidence, since much of it would probably constitute hearsay.

I suggest you subpoena the city building inspector to be a witness at trial.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.