Skip to main content

Another corporation is suing my company (a MA S Corp) for $65K. The suit is in Cook County, IL & is bogus. Do I need a lawyer?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: S-corporation

I was planning on representing myself since we are an S Corp. Do I need a lawyer?

Attorney Answers 3


Yes. First, your post indicates you're in IL, but this is a MA corporation? Specifics on that will be necessary. Second, most courts require corporate defendants to be represented, esp. when cases above small claims are involved. Third, unless you know what you're doing, you'll need an attorney to try to get the case dismissed.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I couldn't agree more with Mr. Corbin.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Under Illinois law, the corporation must be represented by counsel in the legal proceeding.

Robert T. Kuehl
Kuehl Law, P.C.
Chicago, Illinois

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics