Skip to main content

Anoka county is trying to have the wife repay an overpayment of assistance (food program) received by the husband and children

Saint Paul, MN |

My now estranged husband applied and received food assistance in 2003-2004 for himself and our 4 children, while we were living in the same house hold. He had no job, so in order for him to receive help, he had to use my income on the application. I was not one of the applicants on the application. Our daughter went to college and he never reported her leaving the home for a short period of time, 3 months from Sept - Dec 2003. The county is saying they overpaid him. The overpayment was $806 dollars. He never repaid the debt and now the county is trying to take my state taxes/renters rebate to repay the debt. Is this legal since I was not one of the recipients/applicants and is the debt too old for the county to collect? What is the statute of limitations for this type of matter?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. This is not a Social Security question. Perhaps you should direct your question to an attorney who deals in state welfare matters.

  2. Further details would need to be known in order to provide you with sound legal advice. You may confer with a private attorney and she/he will be able to review the underlying documentation and provide you with a legal opinion. Tricia Dwyer Esq.

    MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL - ST CLOUD. This law firm may accept avvo posters as clients but this post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation. Please do seek private attorney counsel as to your personal legal issues and needs.