Annuity account was drained due to identity theft. What to do to get back money ? Can we sue insurance company ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

Annuity account was drained due to identity theft. Contracted insurance cannot do anything about that. What to do to get back money ? Can we sue insurance company ?

1. Jimmy Allen Davis

1

Answered . You could sue the insurance company for a variety of things I imagine, but there is very little to go on here. The first thing I would do is look up the contract you signed to open up the account and read it over.

One clause I would look up is commonly called a forum selection clause, which restricts where you can even file suit. For example: you could have an account with X Bank in Florida, but agreed that the suit must be brought in Delaware. Once you have determined where you can bring a complaint, then you can request assistance from an attorney qualified to practice law in that area.

Many times, the contact specifies that arbitration (or mediation) will be used to determine the outcome of a dispute. If that is the case, who you will contact will depend on the language in the paperwork.

2. Steven Michael Fahlgren

Pro

1

Answered . You likely have a case but an attorney evaluating the case will likely need a time line of events and a copy of any documents you have to evaluate the matter. Depending on the circumstances, some attorneys would take this case on a contingency fee basis. I wish you the best in the future.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you can sue the insurance company. However, whether you will be successful depends on who stole it, and whether anything you did facilitated the theft. Please see my disclaimer.