Skip to main content

An UNLICENSED driver is fully responsible in case of an accident eventhough is not his fault? How about the owner of the car?

Denville, NJ |

What is the law regarding responsibility in case of accident when an Illegal person; that has never obtained a driver’s license in the usa, has decided to drive a car on the daily basis? is this person fully responsible regarding if it as at fault or not?. Please keep in mind that the car driven is owned and insured by a different person. How about the owner of the car that intentionally has provided his name in order to register and insure the car under his name just to allow an unlicensed driver operate his car? I have encountered many contradictory answers. Can you cite a case as a reference? Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Accepting your facts as true it appears that the owner and insurer of the car knew that the person they were letting drive the car had no driver’s license. If that is true then you could have a claim of negligence entrustment against the owner of the car.

If you were injured in the crash I would contact a local personal injury attorney. For property damage, work through your insurance for now.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Licensure has no bearing on determinations all fault. However, people who ensure vehicles under their name while expecting others to drive the vehicle without a license etc. are committing a form of insurance fraud. You certainly are free to report to the police any drivers you know to be unlicensed.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen


Above should read: "determinations of fault"


A claim for negligent entrustment is the exposire in this situation, and it carries all of the liability attached to the driver.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


An unlicensed driver is not responsible for injuries if injuries were not his fault.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


Pennsylvania has specific provisions in the Vehicle Code that make it unlawful for a vehicle owner to permit an unauthorized person to drive a vehicle. See below:

75 Pa. C.S. § 1574. Permitting unauthorized person to drive.
(a) General rule. No person shall authorize or permit a motor vehicle owned by him or under his control to be driven upon any highway by any person who is not authorized under this chapter or who is not licensed for the type or class of vehicle to be driven.
(b) Penalty. Any person violating the provisions of subsection (a) is guilty of a summary offense and shall be jointly and severally liable with the driver for any damages caused by the negligence of such driver in operating the vehicle.

75 Pa.C.S. § 1575. Permitting violation of title.
(a) General rule. No person shall authorize or knowingly permit a motor vehicle owned by him or under his control to be driven in violation of any of the provisions of this title.
(b) Penalty. Any person violating the provisions of subsection (a) is guilty of a summary offense and is subject to the same fine as the driver of the vehicle. If the driver is convicted under section 3735 (relating to homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence) or section 3802 (relating to driving under influence of alcohol or controlled substance), the person violating subsection (a) shall also be subject to suspension or revocation, as applicable, under sections 1532 (relating to revocation or suspension of operating privilege), 1542 (relating to revocation of habitual offender's license) and 3804(e) (relating to penalties).
(c) Indemnification. In cases where a driver of a motor vehicle is required to conduct a pretrip safety inspection pursuant to department regulations and is subsequently convicted of one or more equipment violations under this title, the owner of the vehicle shall indemnify the driver for any fines and costs paid if the specific equipment violation was listed on the driver's pretrip inspection report and acknowledged in writing by the owner.

I don't know if New Jersey has similar laws or not.

But the driver of the car is not automatically liable for an accident just because he was unlicensed. The question with regard to the accident is whether or not the driver was negligent and whether that negligence caused the vehicle crash.

Legal disclaimer: The comments above by Dale Larrimore, Esq. are provided as general information and not as a legal opinion or legal advice, because all facts are not available. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney in your state who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by Dale Larrimore, Esq., of Larrimore & Farnish, LLP, does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state or under Federal law.


There would be liability if the driver was negligent notwithstanding the lack of license.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


I am a iittle unsure about your fact pattern but if the unlicensed driver was not at fault - then from a personal injury case standpoiint - there is no claim against the unlicensed driver, nor by extension to the owner of the car under a theory of negligent entrustment. Now, on the issue of insurance fraud, and criminal charges - that is a separate issues, and the driver and owner have some seriuous issues if these facts are true.

Each case is fact senstive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a thorough and in depth consultation with an experienced attorney. Further, an answer should not be seen as establishing an attorney-client relationship.



I went to family court to advise the judge that the mother: unlicense driver is transporting a car owned by anothe rin the daily basis. The remedy from the judge is I should pay for legal fees. Where can I go beside family court to file charges against the owner of the car?

Michael David Lindner Jr

Michael David Lindner Jr


I dont understand what the Judge told you. Feel free to call me to give me more details. I am hesitant to offer any advice when I am unsure of the facts.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer