Skip to main content

An international student with an 1 visa is charged with possession of marijuana , whats the punishment

Montreat, NC |

Car was pulled over with 5 people in it. The car was searched and marijuana was found, so everyone in the car got charged.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The answer will depend upon the disposition of the charges. You could find yourself inadmissible if convicted. This is a serious problem. You should contact an experienced immigration attorney prior to entering any plea.


More information is needed. How much marijuana was found in the car? Have you played guilty? Has the case being dismissed?

In general, an admission or conviction of/for a crime that relates to a controlled substance, like marijuana, is a reason for the U. S. Government to prevent you from entering into the United States, among other consequences.

If the marijuana was not in your possession, then you should fight the criminal charge. Hopefully, the case will be dismissed. You cannot plead guilty or be found guilty without facing immigration consequences.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


If the marijuana wasn't on your person specifically, then you might be able to fight the charge or plea bargain it out. I would consult a criminal attorney and an immigration attorney to see what your choices are before doing anything else.

Good Luck.


if you are convicted, there may be, immigration consequences. You would be wise to confer with a criminal defense attorney and an immigration attorney during this process.


Possession of marijuana can impact your immigration status. Please discuss with your lawyer.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer