Skip to main content

An inmate needs to find a lawyer to represent him for a malpractice suit

Boston, MA |

He had a surgery that went bad and has documentation to verify same

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The inmate can search Avvo's "find a lawyer" for a lawyer in his state. Good luck.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  2. Just because a surgery went bad does not mean that the surgeon was negligent. Many surgeries have less then the desired result or people suffer from known complications. In these type of cases there is no negligence.

    Your medical records need to be reviewed by a malpractice attorney to see if in fact there was negligence. Contact one sooner vs. later.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  3. There is no automatic "right" to representation in a malpractice matter (unlike in a criminal matter in Massachusetts in which any indigent person will be assigned a free public defender if the party cannot afford legal representation). That means the inmate must either (a) pay an attorney to represent him/her, (b) find someone else to pay for him/her to be represented by legal counsel in the malpractice matter, or (c) find an attorney that will represent him/her for free or under an alternative fee arrangement (contingency basis). To summarize, if the inmate wishes to pursue a malpractice claim, the inmate must arrange for legal representation and there is not a state or federal right to an attorney for everyone for medical malpractice legal matters.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics