An I sue my school for Defamation of Character?

Houston, TX |

Recently I was given detention for something I did not and would not do. I refereed to the student handbook, and found several violations. One, the teacher wrote harassment on the referral, in which according to the handbook, I did no such thing. Second, the other student who was going around calling me profound names has no punishment towards him, when he violated the Student Code of Conduct, and lastly, the basis of the punishment was the situation of my word against a teachers word, and 6 of her students, who ironically, all have a relationship and liking towards her.

1. No, you can't sue your school for giving you detention.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE CAN THANK ATTORNEY MEMMEN BY MARKING IT “BEST ANSWER” or “HELPFUL.” Mr Memmen is donating his time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. THIS IS NOT A CONSULTATION and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. Alexander Memmen recommends that you always consult – in person – with a local attorney before taking any action.

2. This is not a defamation claim.

Your student handbook set forth the circumstances in which you have a right to appeal student discipline. In some schools the imposition of detention can be appealed from. In other schools that penalty is viewed as too minor and there is no appeal.

If you have the right to an administrative appeal, you need to be certain that you make your appeal within the narrow and strict time limits provided by the process.

Candidly, the issues you raise are not good defenses. It is never a sound argument that you should not be punished because someone else got away with something. And your other two arguments both turn on a credibility issue as between you and the citing teacher. The school has the right to decide that issue in the teacher's favor.

If you do not have defenses that are more compelling, you may decide to just let this one go.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.