An Executor steals IRS refunds from an estate in NY and it is not listed in the estate accounting. How to obtain IRS info.?

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, GA

We asked the estate lawyer for the IRS refunds along with the accounting a few months ago. We got the accounting and it appears refunds may be missing from the Schedule of Receipts. We have another lawyer that knows and we again requested IRS returns and we are waiting. We contacted IRS Fraud in Fresno giving them the accounting and asking if refunds are missing. How can we get refund info.? Our lawyer says the Executor and Estate attorney should give it to us for the estate account paid for 2 years of tax preparation. If there were refunds it is a fraudulent accounting that was notarized and signed by the estate attorney and executor. They did list one state tax refund 2 years after the death but no federal ones. The estate has not closed yet from what we know.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dana Whitney Atchley

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Subject to what your own attorney says, including the tax attorney you should be consulting, you may have to go to the probate court to force the executor to divulge the information you're looking for; the IRS will generally not provide tax information to anyone other than the "taxpayer" - which in this case would be the estate/executor - without a power of attorney, which you are unlikely to get from this executor based on the facts you've described.

    My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not... more
  2. Bruce Givner


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Go to Probate Court. That will be quicker than dealing with the IRS.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now