An entitlement on my military contract is not being met, can I request a discharge and is the contract void?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chula Vista, CA

I have been in the National Guard for a few years and joined for an entitlement to assist in school, this is clearly stated in my contract. I was denied this entitlement and have tried to get help on my issue with no response. I have grown tired of fullfilling my contract obligations when the military has not fullfilled theirs. Can I request a discharge since I am not getting what I was promised, and is this contract considered void?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Philip Douglas Cave


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can request separation and state the reason. It does not have to be granted.
    You might be able to petition for a correction of records if there is some discrepancy with your contract and other records.
    Yes, a reason for joining the military is to gain education benefits. However, not all such benefits accrue until after you have completed any contract and being honorably discharged.
    So as Mr. Rafter indicates, not enough facts. 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Short answer, no.

    You did not give any specific facts about what you think was not provided and why you think it was not provided, so its not possible to comment on your specific situation.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  3. Shawn Michael Haggerty

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Talk to the Judge Advocate General rep on base. Do not do anything without seeking counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,851 answers this week

3,259 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,851 answers this week

3,259 attorneys answering