An elderly woman asked me to be the agent of her POA, limited, to care for real estate transactions.

Brooklyn, NY |

After I agreed she executed the document and gave it to me. All who know her said she is of sound mind. I soon found out that she has a penchant for fraudulently falsifying documents. She has become angry with me, and I told her to legally revoke the document. She refuses to do so, demanding the original back claiming it is hers. I am very afraid to return it fearing she will check more boxes and make me liable for the multitudinous legal messes she is involved in. I insist she only needs to revoke it. Now she is trying to have me arrested for making out checks based on her POA, (I have not written any) when the POA does not even grant me these powers. Must I return the POA she gave me or can I retain it in order to prove, if necessary, that this POA did not grant powers she claims I have?

Take your copy of the POA and bring it to the District Attorneys Office and let them know she is using you to commit fraud.

First of all, you would not need the power of attorney to show you do not have the power to sign checks. You would need to show that you in fact did not sign any checks so the power is useless in that regard. As my colleague stated you could keep a copy of the power of attorney and contact the district attorney. You could also resign as agent and/or simply refuse to act on her behalf.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

I agree with my colleagues. I would also add that you do not have ANY liability with regard to a POA that you have not acted under. Your friend is apparently no longer of sound mind. I would make a copy of the form and return the original to her, along with a signed and dated letter indicating that you have never acted under the form and that you refuse to do so, in the future. You will want to keep a copy of that letter, as well.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Kelly Scott Davis

Kelly Scott Davis

This is one of the problems when people use "check the box" power of attorney forms.

Wills and estates topics