An apartment that had a lien in a condominium building was sold to a new owner.

New York, NY |
Filed under: Lien

The new owner purchased a condo with a lien on it. Also, some bank gave him mortgage. How is it possible for a new owner to purchase a property with a lien on it?

1. Quite simply, the lien may have been paid off at the closing of the transaction.

Please be advised that this answer shall not constitute legal advice, or create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Right.

My direct line: 212-561-5599 ext 803. If this answer is helpful and/or the best answer, then please indicate it as so. Thank you. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship.

3. You're assuming the new owner did not take subject to the lien. If he bought it without an attorney and the benefit of title insurance, that's actually a likely scenario.

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.

4. If there was title insurance, you would go through the title company to clear the issue. Also, it may be possible that it was filed after closing or it was paid off at closing.

This does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship.