An apartment tenant who has claimed "reasonable accommodation' for her disability objects to cctv cameras outside her unit.

Torrance, CA |

The interior of her unit is not visible to any camera. The cameras are pointing only to common areas and hallways. She claims the cctv cameras outside her unit invade her right to privacy. Is she right?

1. As long as the CCTV cameras are focusing only on common areas, i.e. hallways and stairways, there is no violation of the tenant's privacy. The tenant's sense that her privacy is being violated may be addressed with some discussion about the source of her concerns.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with a housing law or privacy rights attorney.

2. I am not a CA lawyer, but I don't see how this is an issue. If they weren't there and something happened to her, you could be liable.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

3. I agree with the two previous responses, and write to add that if the cameras only record common areas and hallways surrounding her unit, and no others, she may have a claim for disability discrimination because of the targeted action.

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***