An apartment tenant who has claimed "reasonable accommodation' for her disability objects to cctv cameras outside her unit.

The interior of her unit is not visible to any camera. The cameras are pointing only to common areas and hallways. She claims the cctv cameras outside her unit invade her right to privacy. Is she right?

Torrance, CA -

Daphne Lori Macklin

Daphne Lori Macklin

Civil Rights Attorney - Sacramento, CA

As long as the CCTV cameras are focusing only on common areas, i.e. hallways and stairways, there is no violation of the tenant's privacy. The tenant's sense that her privacy is being violated may be addressed with some discussion about the source of her concerns.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with a housing law or privacy rights attorney.
Marilynn Mika Spencer

Marilynn Mika Spencer

Employment / Labor Attorney - San Diego, CA

I agree with the two previous responses, and write to add that if the cameras only record common areas and hallways surrounding her unit, and no others, she may have a claim for disability discrimination because of the targeted action.

William Emil Cassara

William Emil Cassara

Military Law Attorney - Augusta, GA

I am not a CA lawyer, but I don't see how this is an issue. If they weren't there and something happened to her, you could be liable.