An apartment complex's security gate closed on my rental car while driving thru, is the apartment complex liable

Asked over 5 years ago - Dallas, TX

When you drive into her apartments you have to enter thru a gate & there is a metal slack you drive over when entering so I was half way over the slack & another car was exiting in the middle of the drive thru so I had to stop to let him go & I could not go on either side of him I had to stop I could not reverse because another car was behind me & the gate closed on the car. So now I don't know what to do. I mentioned it to the security officer that works at the gate & he said I may want to let the apartment office know that their gate was not working. At this time I have not done anything. I don't know what to do any advise will be helpful. Or if you can direct with the proper steps I need to take. To my knowledge as long as a car is over that metal slack the gate should stay open.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lu Ann Trevino


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

    Notify the apartment management of the damage in writing, get proof the notice was actually received by them. There should be insurance to cover such a problem. If not, you can notify your own car insurance company which could/should also cover the damage because the rental car is a replacement vehicle for you. Your insurer would then go after the apartment management. If none of that works, you should consult an attorney in your area.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,455 answers this week

3,275 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,455 answers this week

3,275 attorneys answering