An apartment company is try to make myself pay for stopping their elevator by claiming I jumped in it. Can they do this?

Asked about 2 years ago - Madison, WI

They claim they have a CD with video of myself and 2 friends jumping in their elevator. After talking to the elevator company they said that the bill of ~$1,100 was solely for overtime pay for the technician to make sure everything was working properly. After the elevator was stuck on Saturday night, he came on Sunday. They also said had the technician came to fix it on Monday, during normal hours, there would be no cost at all. They left the elevator shutdown until Monday anyways, so it seems the apartment manager called in the technician hoping that we would get stuck with the bill. Do we have to pay this? They said they will press charges if we don't pay the full amount.

1. Jeffrey Wayne Bishop

1

Answered . There's no way to answer this question based on the facts you've given. If you did indeed cause the damage on a weekend, you would be hard pressed to argue they were not justified in sending someone out on a weekend.