Amputation of legs and spinal injury.

Asked about 2 years ago - Miami, FL

Two years ago i slipped on the floor in the supermarket because the had a fully open hose and the water running at full blast, The worker told the manager that I had really fallen. There were no signs around.As a result the legs began swelling, the circulation was damaged and the femi and hip bone began hurting all the time so even to-day many times I have to cross the stum from my right thigh over the left one.The right leg had to be amputated, the one that took the direct hit, the left foot was also amputated, my right wrist was blleding and I still have a lump 2 inches above the right elbow .The manager smeared off the blood from my wrist that was falling in to the spread of still running water alongside ALL THE WIDTH of the bottom of the freezer. I told him not to destroy the evide

1. John Elliott Leighton

2

Answered . It sounds like you may have a case against the supermarket fior negligence. Although the law in Florida on slip and fall cases has changed (not for the better) in the past two years, supermarkets may still be liable for slips and falls caused by their own acts (such as running water in a place where they know people will be walking) or where there is a hazrad that they knew existed or should have known about. In Florida we have a four year statute of limitations on negligence cases, which means that th ecase must be filed before the end of four years or it is barred forever. There are many issue spresented in your question which can be answered by consulting with a qualified personal injury lawyer. Look for someone board certified in civil trial law and someone who actually tries cases (not someone who refers them out). We would be happy to review this for you if you should so desire.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . Sorry to learn of your tragedy. All the best.

3. Bret A. Schnitzer

2

Answered . Sounds terrible. See a doctor and lawyer at once to get an assessment in your State.

4. Lawrence Joseph Marraffino

Pro

Answered . You need a lawyer who has handled a lot of slip and fall cases. My firm has such experience and I am a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer. You should contact an attorney IMMEDIATELY. Cases do not get better with age.

Lawrence J. Marraffino
    Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer
    www.ljmpa.com

5. David B Pittman

Pro

Answered . First of all, I am so sorry to hear of this horrific experience and wish you the best. Our firm has handled slip and fall cases for quite sometime and we have an attorney with our firm in Miami who is designated as a SuperLawyer.
    Generally, the law requires that the business owner have "notice" of a dangerous condition on the premises. Without getting too technical, "notice" can be either actual notice (such as another patron falling or being injured with the owners/managers notified OR constructive notice. Constructive notice boils down to the notion that the owner "should have known" that the condition would likely cause harm or present a danger to patrons. There are also requirements for the business to have acted reasonably.
    In any event, it sounds like you have a case which will require time and expertise to fully evaluate your medical needs, future care needs, and loss of income potential. The amount of pain and suffering you have experienced and will continue to experience is indescribable. Please seek help and it would be our pleasure to help in any way we can. Best to you.

One or more answers have been taken down.