Amicable divorce. Can we use the same lawyer?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

Can we use the same lawyer if our divorce is amicable? Or would we even need a lawyer? Could we file it ourselves? We have two children together and we have already agreed on child custody and visitations. Our children will reside with me and we will share every other weekend with them. I do not want alimony from him. We have already talked about our divorce in depth, as to what we expect and what is acceptable as far as our children is concerned. So, can we use the same lawyer?

Neither of you needs an attorney to get divorced if you are willing to do the work yourselves. However, it is important to understand that if one of you hires an attorney to prepare the paperwork and get through court that the attorney only represents the person that hired them. They do not represent the other spouse. Divorce is litigation and it is unethical for an attorney to represent both sides of the table. If they are taking advantage of you or doing something against your interest they have no obligation to inform you and you might not even know it.

Feel free to contact me if you need additional assistance.